The Idiot's Guide To Marriage

Monday, February 12, 2007

It wasn't ALL bad

There were good things to being married, I just can't remember them.

HA

You know, I'd do it all again, because it made me into who I am today, and provided me with my legacy, in that of my son. There were fun times, and funny times. I miss certain aspects of the married life, such as holidays and the like. Being single, I don't have as big of a family, and I miss that too.

It's funny how whenever you're in a situation you always think how it would be nice to be on the other side of the fence, then when you get over there, things aren't all that rosey. I wish more people could just be happy where they are in life? But as humans, it seems we are always looking for the thing that will make us happy, and striving to that end can get us in heaps of trouble.

Many times we don't even know what we want.

I know what I don't want.

To be quizzed about where I've been and why I was there that long
have my personal email and otherwise snooped in
have someone make demands on me they themselves are incapable of achieving
be criticized for how I do things
be told i'm not a good person by someone I care for
be rejected
be blamed
head trips/mind games
egomaniacal manipulation
belittlement
treated as inferior
put down in front of others
be stepped on while someone else gets what they want
put my wants in the back seat for an overspender

i'm sure there's more

8 comment(s):

QZ, if i ever met you I'd give you SUCH a beating! Sounds like you haven't had one in a while, with that attitude.

:)

I know you know the song w/ the reframe: Walk it out. Walk it out.

I like that.

By Blogger M@, at 7:52 AM  

Hun, I think the things you don't want to do are the definition of marriage.

But Ambrose Bierce said it best in his Devil's Dictionary:

MARRIAGE, n.
The state or condition of a community consisting of a master, a mistress and two slaves, making in all, two.

WEDDING, n.
A ceremony at which two persons undertake to become one, one undertakes to become nothing, and nothing undertakes to become supportable.

AND, my all time favorite Kate Hepburn quote:

"If you want to exchange the admiration of many for the criticism of one, then go ahead and get married." ;)

There isn't a thing about marriage that I miss. And I could very well have procreated without the law being involved thus. However, as you say, those trials and tribulations have had a large part in making me who I am. I like who I am. So, although I don't regret having had the experiences, it's a very bittersweet pill to take.

By Blogger cathouse teri, at 9:47 AM  

What the hell is it with guys and all this effort put into stuff? Like mind games. The quizzing. I have a very short list of demands from chicks.

1. If you are going to the supermarket anyway, and you can clearly see that I am out of Sam Adams, pick up a six pack. It kind of sucks when you want a beer and there is none. Six packs usually last two weeks, sometimes less.

2. My shirts that require pressing should be pressed. I simply can not do this. I tried a few times and each time it was a disaster. The house almost got set on fire, and I had to go buy more shirts.

3. My diet of choice sucks. It consists of stuff that comes in a box and all I have to do is boil water or press some buttons on a microwave. Sometimes food comes inside a plastic bag someone hands me through a window. That issue needs to be addressed at some point. Before I get fat.

4. MUST like boats and water. Understand that the boat IS important, and sometimes I will spend more time with the boat than the chick. Boats are high maintenance and get jealous if they are neglected. A boat that feels jilted will refuse to start at the boat ramp, or crap out in the middle of the bay requiring a tow to get back to the marina.

That is it. I could probably think up more stuff, but that would require effort. Energy is valuable and needs to be conserved for more important things. Like working on the boat.

By Blogger The Lazy Iguana, at 5:26 PM  

By the way, your cool audio code thing is getting posted to every post. You need to move the code to the sidebar or BEFORE the post. Right now the song is opening several times creating this horrible effect. To clearly hear the song one has to go to every post and stop the song.

By Blogger The Lazy Iguana, at 5:31 PM  

matt: very funny sabooooo

catty: then i'm out

lazy: i thought i informed you once before, on ironing. you have to use the square end of the board for your shirts....just try it.

as for the audio code, thanks for pointing that out. i moved it to the sidebar and it overlaps onto my posts, what do i do about that?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:11 PM  

I will try to use the square end. I have a Coast Guard uniform now, that thing needs to look Mil-Spec or else the enlisted Coasties will give me a wedgie. Or at least point and laugh. Wedgies are against regulations. I joined the Auxiliary, but even if I am a civilian volunteer I wear a uniform similar to an enlisted officer. So I should look like an enlisted officer.

Resizing the music thing is easy! Look in the code for a "width" and "height". Change those numbers! I used width='200' and height='150'. Fits perfectly into my sidebar.

PS - when you generate a new code you can change the height and width before you cut and paste.

By Blogger The Lazy Iguana, at 8:59 PM  

Lazy Iggy,

I think it's perfectly reasonable to require that a woman love boats and water. Requiring that she look good in a bikini, on the other hand...

By Blogger cathouse teri, at 4:59 PM  

Oh my...I think we were married to the same man..and to think there is more than 1 of these out there **shiver** scary shit.

By Blogger Cassie, at 1:57 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home